Thursday, December 3, 2009

What is a great blog post?

There have been times when I have sat and wondered, "What makes a great blog post?" Does it have to be hilariously funny? Does it require many witty quotes? Does it need to be a certain length? I wasn't sure. In fact, I got to the point that I almost gave up my writing altogether- I thought, "No-one wants to read me, anyway!"

Then I realised something. I write because I love to write. There is no-one standing over me demanding I write a certain thing. I have no deadline. I am not constrained to write according to some other persons political slant. With no regard to who I must be for all those around me, when I write, I am the person who I wish to be within.

Will I ever be famous? I don't think so. Maybe one day, someone will quote an article of mine in a speech or a paper. Will I ever be rich? Probably not- though stranger things have happened. Will I ever dine with the political or business powers of the world? Highly unlikely, though, if we all adopted the attitude that "every man is my teacher," then maybe I could be called upon for a small nugget of truth that I have learned over my life.

Blogging is a release. A step away from the pressures of life to a little world of cybertronics, where words are used to provide an escape. Words that will provide a way of zoning out all other things- words and a keyboard. If you feel like your writing is a waste of time, think- does it do something for you? If so, don't ever give it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment